Monday, December 05, 2011

Stork billed kingfisher


The Stork-billed Kingfisher, Pelargopsis capensis (formerly Halcyon capensis), is a tree kingfisher. They usually hunt near freshwater and along coasts or mangroves, that is where I saw him, near the Sengkang riverside park floating bridge area. I was told that the Stork-billed Kingfishers are the largest Kingfishers found in Singapore. But they are rarely sighted because they are shy and less noisy than other Kingfishers. I was just lucky enough to take a photo of its beauty in Sengkang park on a late afternoon after 2 hours heavy rain. This is a large kingfisher, I think it has 25 cm in length. It has very beautiful blue wings and tail, and brown head. Its underparts and neck are very bright yellow. The very large bill and legs are bright red.

I was so happy that I photographed this Stork billed kingfisher to add into my birds collection photo, though it was not that very clear. Does anyone have any tips on how to photograph kingfisher? I have seen many awesome images of them on the net and know alot of you are awesome photographers.
Smiling Sally MellowYellowMondayBadge

7 comments:

Liz said...

Lovely shots! Have a fabulous week.

Holding Hands
Mango Snow Ice

SmilingSally said...

What a gorgeous, colorful bird.

Sorry, but I have not photography tips. Happy Blue Monday to you, Lala!

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful photos ~ well done ~ Love the kingfisher! ~ thanks, namaste, Carol (A Creative Harbor) Happy MYM

The French Hutch said...

I find these beautiful colorful birds so amazing. Thanks for sharing such beautiful photos. Happy Blue Monday.

~Emily
The French Hutch

Anonymous said...

This was a TREAT! Thank you.

Leah H. said...

That is beautiful..

Visiting for BM! Hope you can visit mine too..

http://www.heavenly-dreams.com/toy-story-toddler-bed/

Anonymous said...

Visiting from MYM ... what an unusual bird ... very colorful!