Friday, November 12, 2010

Skywatch Friday #30: Munich Dachau


The day before we left Munich we take a tour to see Dachau, the the first Nazi concentration camp built, and was functioning throughout the entire Third Reich reign (from 1933-1945). It was the camp that was used as a model for all other concentration camps, many thousands of people died here. This was a stop that I wanted to visit and I am able to see first hand one of the most tragic stories of World War II. However that was an old history that I only read from text book before.
 
The tour through the camp was very sad to read the stories of the lives that were there for the 12 years the prison existed.  I can say that this is the most depressing place I have ever visited in my life. Walking among the foundations of the former prisoner barracks was tough. Walking through the gas chamber and crematorium was even harder. (The 30 barracks were built to hold 250 people, not the 1,600 that were crammed into each one.) I just felt sad while touring this once-horrific compound…

…a sculpture to remember the people who endured this place.
And I wish our world can be peaceful forever, and every one are able to enjoy the blue sky and be happy always even when the sky is grey…

2 comments:

Yoshi said...

May peace prevail on earth... I like last one. Well-captured!!

Have a wonderful weekend.

Paulie said...

Thanks for sharing these photos. . . much as I would like to go there, I don't think I could emotionally.