Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Ruby Tuesday-Red Hibiscus

 hibiscus

Hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis), a tropical flower, belongs to the family Malvaceae. It gets its name from the Greek words Hibiscus meaning "mallow" and rosa-sinensis meaning "rose of China". In Singapore, the plant is found in the wild but is often cultivated for purposes such as an environmental alternative to road dividers. Locals call the flower bunga raya or "flower of celebration".

You can find the beautiful red hibiscus flowers easily in Singapore. There are actually trees, small trees or evergreen shrub, growing to a maximum of 10 m in the wilds, were planted in a lot of HDB area, around the playground or in between the blocks. They are too common to be realized its beauty, until one day while waiting for my friend outside the car park, I captured these few pictures…

I would like to share with our Ruby Tuesday these beautiful flowers, and actually we can find a lot of other lovely  and beautiful things in our daily life, but to open our eyes, and slow down our life.

hibiscus

4 comments:

Aubrey, My Camera's Eye said...

GORGEOUS Ruby Tuesday photo! I love hibiscus!

Kim, USA said...

The first time I came here in US I was surprise the name of this beautiful flower is Hibiscus because in my country where I came from we call it Gumamela. They are so pretty and they bloom so well specially in summer. Good shot you got here. Happy Ruby Tuesday!

My Life’s Journey in Focus
At my tabletop
My Life’s Photo
My Pride and Joy

Quilt Works said...

The angle is fantastic!

Jama said...

There's a few bushes of hibiscus around my block.